Septorhinoplasty | Benefits of Getting Septoplasty At Once
- Septorhinoplasty is an operation to alter the appearance of the nose. Since the shape of every nose is different, so is every septorhinoplasty. Surgeons all use different techniques, and the description below is only a guide.
- During the operation other procedures can be carried out, such as straightening the nasal septum, breaking the bones of the nose and putting them back together differently, removing a hump on the bridge of the nose or altering the shape of the tip of the nose.
- The operation takes 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the work to be done. Usually, the skin is cut just inside the nose, but some surgeons prefer to cut just outside the nose (external septorhinoplasty). In either case, the scars are almost invisible after a few weeks.
- Afterwards, your nose may be packed for a few hours or overnight, depending on the amount of bleeding. There is often bruising around the eyes for several days. A plaster of paris mould will be placed over your nose to protect it and hold the repositioned nasal bones in place. You can normally go home on the day of surgery.
- Any pain is usually mild and easily controlled with simple painkillers. It is advisable to take 2 weeks off work after the operation and not to do any heavy lifting during this period. The plaster will be removed after about a week and then you can resume normal activities.
- After the operation, your nose will be slightly swollen. The shape of your nose will continue to change for up to a year as the skin settles into its new position.